Paper Industry in India
Paper industry in India is the 15th largest paper industry in the world. It provides employment to nearly 1.5 million people and contributes Rs 25 billion to the government’s kitty. The government regards the paper industry as one of the 35 high priority industries of the country.
Paper industry is primarily dependent upon forest-based raw materials. The first paper mill in India was set up at Sreerampur, West Bengal, in the year 1812. It was based on grasses and jute as raw material. Large scale mechanized technology of papermaking was introduced in India in early 1905. Since then the raw material for the paper industry underwent a number of changes and over a period of time, besides wood and bamboo, other non-conventional raw materials have been developed for use in the papermaking. The Indian pulp and paper industry at present is very well developed and established. Now, the paper industry is categorized as forest-based, agro-based and others (waste paper, secondary fibre, bast fibers and market pulp).
Reference - Pulp and Paper Industry in India
Paper and Pulp Companies In India, Pulp and Paper Industries, Pulp and Paper Mills
- ITC Bhadrachalam: Mill is located at Sarapaka, Andhra Pradesh
- JK Paper: Mill is located at Jaykaypur, Rayagada, Orissa.
- Sirpur: mill is located at Kaghaznagar, town in the Adilabad district of Andhra Pradesh
- Star Paper: The company’s manufacturing facility at Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Ballarpur Industries Limited (BILT)
- Pudumjee Pulp & Paper Mills Ltd.: pudumjee.com Plant is at Pune (Maharashtra, India)
- Sri Krishna Paper Mills and Industries Limited: skpmil.com Bahadurgarh, near Delhi
- Tamil Nadu Newsprint and Papers Limited: tnpl.co.in The factory is situated at Kagithapuram in Karur District Kagithapuram 639 136
- The West Coast Paper Mills Ltd.: westcoastpaper.com Dandeli 581325, Uttar Kannada (Karnataka)The Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills Ltd.: www.andhrapaper.com, plant is located at Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh.
- Titagarh Paper Mills Company Ltd.: titagarhindustries.com plant is located at Titagarh and Kakinara
- Vikarabad Pulp and Paper Mills Pvt. Ltd.: vikarabadmills.com, plant is located at Vikarabad, Rangareddy, Andhra Pradesh.
Growth of pulp and paper industry in India is limited because of the high cost of production caused by limited supply and high cost of raw materials, electric power cost and concentration of mills in a specific area. Government has been taking several measures to remove the bottlenecks and infrastructure development.
Measures for making Indian Pulp and Paper Industry Strong
- Duty free imports of new used machinery equipment should be allowed.
- Import duty on waste paper needs to be reduced.
- Improvements of sea ports roads and railways and communication facilities.
- Revision of forest policy is required for wood based paper industry so that plantation can be raised by industry cooperatives of farmers and state government. Degraded forest land should be made available to the industry for raising plantations.